Further confirmation of the nautical industry’s substantial recovery, as already highlighted by Nautica Italiana, and the key role played by Italian-made products in this trend, is provided by figures in the authoritative Superyacht Report’s 2016 Global Order Book. This analyses the segment of superyachts over 30 metres long and confirms the leadership of Italian shipbuilding, an excellence that is fully represented by the association affiliated to Fondazione Altagamma.
In fact, the Superyacht Report’s Global Order Book reveals that Italy is further consolidating its leadership in the over-30 metre long superyacht sector, with a worldwide percentage of units delivered between 2011 and 2015, equal to 37.2%. This is equivalent to the total of all those delivered in the same period by Holland, Turkey, the United States and the entire Asian continent put together. This leadership is also confirmed by the 2016 trend, which sees Italy’s shipyards working on 177 of these yachts with an average length of 44.2 metres out of a total of 424 yachts being built worldwide.
This is also reflected in terms of Gross Tonnage (GT), where Italian producers have 32% of the worldwide share of global orders in 2016, whilst, as far as order numbers are concerned, the share is 42.7% (a significant increase compared to 38% in 2015). When overall length is considered, the Italian percentage is 41.7%. These are prestigious statistics, which also confirm Italy’s leadership as regards orders for units of ever increasing size.
These important figures not only confirm the absolute need to provide concrete support in enhancing and effectively promoting the work of those companies representing quintessential Italian excellence in the world, but also once again highlight the importance of the project of NAUTICA ITALIANA, a large proportion of whose members generate the numbers reflected in the Global Order Book.
In particular, as far as shipbuilding is concerned:
- In the 30-45 metre segment, 75 units are being built by Yards included among the members of Nautica Italiana;
- In the over 45 metre segment, 40 units are being built by Yards included among the members of Nautica Italiana;
- Among the 50 yards considered by the Report to be most “vital” at global level, 10 builders of superyachts are members of Nautica Italiana – Arcadia Yachts, Azimut, Baglietto, Benetti, CRN, Custom Line, Mondomarine, Perini Navi, Pershing and Picchiotti – and 4 of these are ranked in the top 15;
- A member of Nautica Italiana leads the global ranking in the sailing industry, and another member ranks first for the number of in-house exterior and interior projects in the Yachting world;
- In general, analysing the design area, Italian shipbuilding leads the world with 30.9% of the world’s in-house exterior projects and 44% of in-house interior projects.
A position of leadership has been achieved also thanks to the contribution of the Italian accessories and components sectors, the top brands of which are members of Nautica Italiana.
Italy is also playing an increasingly important role in the superyacht Refit&Repair sector, which sees the Mediterranean basin as a constantly developing key area, due to this segment’s contribution to the Yachting Industry’s economy. This contribution was driven primarily by routine maintenance, repair in the strictest sense, ever more extensive and major refit work through to the modification of dimensions and restoration of vintage boats.
Here as well, a member of Nautica Italiana stands out as one of the top three companies in the world ranking of Refit&Repair yards.